Friday, October 10, 2014

Hey, I'm planning ahead kind of

To say my sewing mojo has been lacking the last month is a colossal understatement. It's partially due to the fact that between my full time job, part time job, dog classes and a human class I haven't had a weekend off in over a month (and won't have one off until November), but also because I've been really into knitting lately. I'm a very, very new knitter so I am agonizingly slow. I did just get sucked into a YouTube hole looking at videos on how to knit English style faster, so hopefully I'll speed up soon and finish the sweaters I'm planning this century.

I sewed the majority of the Bruyere shirt by Deer and Doe a few weeks ago before my motivation fizzled out. It's still sitting on my dress form like this waiting for sleeves, cuffs, and buttons though. I'm 100% in love with it so far and really need to finish it because it's totally flannel season right now. I cut a the waistband on the bias because duh, but forgot how awfully stretchy flannel is on the bias. I had to do a bit of altering to get things to line up properly, but overall I'm happy with the plaid matching.
My dress form is where garments go to die, apparently

Even though I haven't been turning out jack shit in terms of garments, I have ideas, you guys. First up, I want to make a version of this jacket I had back when I was in high school. Please excuse the glamour shot, this was one of my senior pictures and the only picture I have! I am only 17 in this picture and that makes me feel OLD. Anyways, I wore it until it fell apart. Or until my arms got too fat and I hulked out of it. Whatever, potato potato.

"I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom!"
When I saw the blue bomber jacket that Miss Make whipped up, it totally brought back memories of this jacket. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I immediately went out and found the same Robert Kaufman moleskin and even managed to find a copy of the out-of-print Kwik Sew 3491. I've got some navy ribbing (even though I just now noticed that the trimmings on that jacket are gray), and I'm planning on lining the jacket with this Cotton + Steel print. Obviously I have been planning this one in my head for a while and have lots of feels about it!

I've also got a pair of black ponte leggings on the list to wear with the Bruyere top (when I finish it). I'm either going to go with Ooh La Leggings by Papercut or the Cake Espresso Leggings. I have both and I definitely want something with a very high waist. I've never been a huge fan of leggings because I'm so high-waisted. In order to avoid muffin top with RTW leggings I have to sport a camel toe. There is no lesser of those two evils, FYI.

Source
Source
For the knits I'm currently working on an Oatmeal Pullover in Malabrigo Mecha Solis. It's my first sweater, and my first knit that isn't a hat. Kind of like with sewing, I started out making a shit load of hats and only now realized that I really don't wear hats ever. So even though I'm still a total n00b, bring on the sweaters. I'm about half way through knitting the body right now. I had to frog it after the raglan increases once because I'm a genius and didn't make a gauge swatch the right way and my gauge was waaaay off. Even with the largest needles in my set I'm still at about 13 stitches in 4 inches instead of the 11 called for. I'm knitting the pattern a size up, but hopefully it all works out. If not, lesson learned!



Source
Source

The next sweater I have planned is a Worsted Boxy in Malabrigo Rios purpuras. I promise I don't have a weird thing for Malabrigo yarns. I just happened to accidentally think that I was picking up worsted weight yarn when really I was picking up chunky. I know, I know it's pretty obvious, but I was intimidated by my first trip to the local yarn store and didn't want to ask. And also that color is gorgeous so I'm not even mad, bro. Anyways, I'm carrying a bit of extra weight right now due to cookie dough and other things, so loose boxy sweaters like this are the only thing I want to wear right now. It's really taking all my self control not to cast-on this one right now. Again another suuuuuuper beginner pattern because that's what I am, but I am pretty excited to make it. Office appropriate pajamas, anyone?

I also bought yarn for a Robin pullover, but omg sport weight is so tiny! I had no idea. Are you sensing a pattern? I only have ever bought yarn from JoAnn before, and the only time I have ever ventured away from worsted weight yarn it's been for super chunky yarn to arm knit. So while I have cast that sweater on, it is at the bottom of my list and will probably sit there for a while. I'm using Shine Sport, which is a cotton/modal blend so it will be perfect for spring anyways. It might be spring 2017 before I finish it, but whatever!

Now that I list it out it doesn't seem like that much, but with all the crap I've got going on for the next few months, it's about all I can handle! What are you guys planning?





7 comments:

  1. Ooh, that flannelette is the prettiest colour! Super excited to see your sweaters :D
    Just started working full time on top of uni work, so I know those feels... I hope you find your mojo!
    I'm very slowly working on a cardigan in alpaca wool, and hoping to make a few pretty silk tank tops over the next few weeks!

    x. Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silk tank tops! I'm so jealous of the direction your seasons are taking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so intimidated by knitting. Crochet I can do, no problem, but knitting I just cannot seem to get the stitch tension even. :/ One day ... in the meantime, there's that mountain of fabric to wade through.


    They look like great sewing plans to me, though. Why overwhelm yourself with projects for something that's supposed to be a fun hobby? It's no fun if it feels like an obligation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been a crocheter first and foremost, but holy crap the sweater patterns for crochet are so fugly! I've trawled Ravelry and I think I've found two patterns that aren't terrible (even though most of the projects made my eyes cross). As for knitting, I'm pretty sure I knitted for about 6 months before I ever even made anything. If I dropped a stitch, I would rip it out and start over. I don't like scarves and don't wear them, so I would get about a foot into one, ask myself what I was doing, and then rip it out!

    You're right, it is no fun if it feels like I have to. And I totally don't, I just miss it! Hopefully this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice plans! I've also not been doing much sewing - moved house and just can't deal with setting up the sewing zone when chaos reigns elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unpacking is no fun, hopefully you get everything organized soon! I feel like my place is chaotic, and I only need to vacuum and dust!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true. It's hard to find nice sweater patterns for crochet. They all seem to be either very bulky, or see-through.


    Good luck with finding sewing time someday soon. :)

    ReplyDelete